ROBERT L. RUNYANS – ARCHITECT
BACHELOR OF ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN IN ARCHITECTURE NORTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY, 1976, WITH HONORS
Since graduation, Robert has practiced architecture, initially in association with such notable North Carolina based architectural firms as Holloway & Reeves and G. Milton Small & Associates. He also held the position of Senior Project Architect in the North Carolina based office of GSGSB, managing architects and engineers of the Statue of Liberty renovation.
His experience is diverse and encompasses a diversity of project types and scopes including commercial, industrial, retail, housing, religious and educational developments.
Robert is committed to personal project involvement from conceptual design through the construction effort. He is particularly well versed in matters of building code and zoning ordinance interpretation.
Away from the office Robert is involved in church and community activities and has recently completed 8 years of service as a commissioner on the Raleigh Historic Districts Commission. He has additionally served on the Downtown Raleigh Design Development Advisory Committee charged with establishing a direction for the physical development of the central business district and periphery. And he has served as chairman of the First Baptist Church Raleigh Properties Committee among others.
Hailing from Shelby, North Carolina, Robert and his wife Pamela have made Raleigh, North Carolina their home since his graduation from North Carolina State University. They have one son and two daughters, all US Army officers. Bob, a West Point and UNC Law School graduate is the Officer in Charge of the Judge Advocate General Corps office at Schinnen, the Netherlands. Abigail, a first lieutenant, is a legacy graduate of North Carolina State University and holds advanced degree from the George Washington School of Physician Assistants. She is practicing in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Camille, meanwhile, was recently commissioned as a second lieutenant following her West Point graduation and is serving stateside as a Blackhawk helicopter pilot.
Notable building project experience includes the following:
- Underwriters Laboratories Bldg No. 2 Research Triangle Park North Carolina
- Charles River Laboratories Research Triangle Park North Carolina
- Triangle Bank Raleigh, North Carolina Knightdale, North Carolina New Bern, North Carolina Greenville, North Carolina Smithfield, North Carolina Develop Branch Bank Prototypes
- Dean E. Smith Student Activities Center UNC-Chapel Hill Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- North Carolina Museum Of Art, Raleigh, North Carolina
- Alamance National Bank Graham, North Carolina Corporate Headquarters & Commercial Bank
- Berkeley Plaza Shopping Center Goldsboro, North Carolina
- Staples Office Supply Goldsboro, North Carolina Nashville, Tennessee Wilkesboro, North Carolina Mooresville, North Carolina
- Westgate Plaza Shopping Center Kinston, North Carolina
- Howard Perry & Walston – Coldwell Banker Cary, North Carolina Chapel Hill, North Carolina Raleigh, North Carolina Clayton, North Carolina
- East Wake Academy Zebulon, North Carolina Campus Master Plan New Lower School Classroom, Admin & Gymnatorium Building
- Medal Of Honor Clubhouse & Banquet Facility Marine Corps Base Quantico, Virginia Golf Clubhouse & Banquet Facility
- Usma Golf Center Facility & Compound United States Military Academy West Point, New York
- Emergency Services Center Town Of Belhaven Belhaven, North Carolina
- N.C. Dept. Of Environment Health And Natural Resources State Of North Carolina State Headquarters Raleigh, North Carolina Regional Offices Washington, North Carolina Raleigh, North Carolina
- East Carolina University School Of Medicine Greenville, NC
- Interpath Communications Research Triangle Park, NC
Notable space planning & interiors project experience includes the following:
- Tiger Direct Morrisville, North Carolina 12,410 Sf
- GTE Mobilnet Cary, North Carolina 93,351 Sf
- Alltel Cary, North Carolina 56,000 Sf
- Interpath Communications Morrisville, North Carolina 211,772 Sf (3 Buildings)
- AT&T Morrisville, North Carolina 24,953 Sf & Raleigh, North Carolina 15,388 Sf
- Wellspring Bakehouse Morrisville, North Carolina 21,500 Sf
- BB&T Corporate Offices Raleigh, North Carolina 45,000 Sf
- ABB (Asea Brown Boveri) Centennial Campus Offices North Carolina State University 8,500 Sf
- Mac Papers Morrisville, North Carolina 30,000 Sf
- Shearon Harris Nuclear Facility Administrative Offices New Hill, North Carolina 35.000 Sf
- Southtrust Bank Corporate Offices Charlotte, North Carolina 35,000 Sf
- Duron Paints Raleigh, North Carolina 12,500 Sf
- PPD Pharmaco Morrisville, North Carolina 90,374 Sfquintiles Transnational Research Triangle Park , North Carolina 150,000 Sf (2 Buildings)